Installing Antivirus programs on flash drives has become as essential as installing them on your computer. Hackers have become aware that users, while taking strong precautions to protect their internet browsers and operating systems, fail (for the most part) to properly care for their USB drives.
These memory sticks can be infected with malware just as much as an operating system. Hackers target specific software embedded within flash drives to infect their contents, while seemingly not affecting your computer.
When you plug the USB drives into another computer, the virus will activate and spread throughout that computer. This continues as a vicious cycle that is often overlooked by a user unaware of their flash drive’s role in the attack.
In this tutorial, we’ll be showing you how to install an antivirus program directly from your USB flash drives. We’ll be using the ClamWin Portable software for this example, but there are an array of different programs you can choose from.
ClamWin Portable is a reliable program you can place on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind.
System and Hardware Requirements:
Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 Operating System
USB Flash Drive or Hard Disk with Minimum 45 MB free space
- Plug your USB drive into your computer.
- Download ClamWin Portable
- Save the file. When you are asked where you would like to save the file, choose your USB drive location.
- Open the program, then start the installation process. Select the correct location where the application is to be installed. Then click on Install. This will take a few minutes to complete.
- When the next window opens, make sure that Launch PortableApps.com Platform is selected and click on Finish. You can also launch the application by double-clicking on it in the USB drive folder.
- On first startup ClamWin Portable will ask you to download the Virus Definition database. This is an online library of all the latest antivirus software. Click on Yes.
- From here you can select which drive you would like so scan. Choose either the host computer, USB drive, or both. You can plug this into any computer and perform a virus scan.